Friday, November 21, 2014

Reindeer!


It was Reindeer wednesday at my studio this week!
The pattern is called "Fair Isle Christmas Quilt" by Lee of Freshly Pieced -- a gorgeous, Nordic-inspired quilt pattern.  Love it!

For now, though, these Reindeer are destined to become pillows.  I've been experimenting with quilting them, and finished one up this morning.  I've been using this 60 degree diagonal straight line quilting a lot lately -- what do you think?
I used 2 different colors of Kona red, alternating, to enhance the "pixelated" quality of the pattern.  I cheated a little though -- on some of the longer stretches of red, I didn't use 1.5 inch strips, I did a little quilty math and used wider strips so that I'd have fewer seams to match.  It definitely sped up the  process!
 For the back I added a concealed zipper, red binding, and one of my labels.
The print is a Pottery Barn sheet -- a few years ago I cut one up to make curtains, and had a little leftover.  So now the pillow looks at home in our reading loft, and the back matches the curtains.  Hurray!
The other 3 reindeer (& maybe even some brown deer with red noses!) will be available at my booth at the No Coast Holiday Craft-o-Rama on Dec 5th & 6th.

Linking up with:
The Fair Isle Quilt Along
& Finished on Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts

7 comments:

  1. they look gorgeous - great idea to make cushions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Crazy mum quilts. That is super cool. Love doing that instead of the whole quilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them! Makes me want to make one now too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So cute, I love it as a pillow!! : ) : )

    ReplyDelete