Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Works in Progress (4.23.14)

My most frustrating work in progress this week is my sewing room! 
Ice dams this winter caused some pretty major water damage, 
so we're having the walls and ceiling repaired this week.
Here are some "before" photos:
 


Wasn't it pretty?! 


And here it is now: 
It's such a mess!
I decided to move my sewing machine to our bedroom, and to just work on small projects this week, as there isn't much room to spread out.  So this week has been all about pillows!

I really love how this pillow finished up!
The paper-pieced pattern can be found here.
I added a scrappy border and hand quilted it with #8 perle cotton in cream and turquoise.
The back is a super soft turquoise minky with a zip closure, but I forgot to take a picture of it!

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Works in Progress, 4.9.14

Finished this week:
 Ikea Drona Storage bins -- covered in Summersville fabrics.
(Tutorial here.)
So happy to have our toy storage area all cleaned up and organized!

In Progress:
My creation for do.Good Stitches this month -- a scrappy sprouts block, inspired by Traceyjay's quilt.  I'm asking each member of the Peace circle to make blocks in the colors of the rainbow.  With any luck, I'll get this one finished up in time for the Minnesota State Fair -- there is a category for quilts made with more than 40 fabrics that I'd like to enter again!

My triangle quilt -- I have half of the rows done, and sewed lots of triangles into pairs last night.  Hoping to get this quilt top done soon!


Monday, April 7, 2014

Fabric Covered Ikea Storage Boxes

Before:
After:


Much, much better!
My goal with this project was to cover these Ikea Drona boxes with bright, fun fabrics, but still have the tab/handle at the top to make them easy to access for the kiddos.

Here's a quick tutorial:
Start with 3 pieces of fabric -- the main front piece (13.5 inches square), accent piece/handle (6 by 13.5 inches), and the solid piece that wraps around the sides and back of the box (42 x 13.5 inches). {I didn't want to use up all of my pretty fabric on the sides and back of the box -- this is why I used a large solid piece!}

 Fold the accent piece in half, wrong sides together, and sew it to the top of the main front piece, lining up the rough edges.

 Next add the solid piece -- sew the 13.5 inch ends to each side of the front/accent piece, right sides together.  Now you basically have a tube -- which is inside out at this point.

Fold over the raw edges and stitch them down, with a 1/2 inch seam allowance.  Do the top first, then measure it on your IKEA box -- you may need to do slightly more or less of a seam allowance on the bottom edge, depending on how accurate your top seam allowance was.  Since I was making so many of these boxes, I only turned over my seam once -- so it's not really "properly finished" on the inside -- but since no one is going to see it, I figured I wouldn't be too picky about this!
 Here is how the "finished" seams look -- good enough for a toy box cover!
Finished!
(fabrics are Summersville by Lu Summers)

Linking up to Fabric Tuesday at Quiltstory!

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Triangle Quilt Along

There is nothing more fun than starting a new project--
especially when it's a quilt along and there are prizes each week!

This will be my first ever triangle quilt -- I've always admired them but never made one of my own.  Can't wait to start sewing the rows together!  

(linking up to the Triangle Quilt Along at sassyquilter.com)


Saturday, March 15, 2014

Patchwork Puzzle

Do you ever have an idea for quilting,
and design a quilt around the idea? 











When I saw this type of "puzzle piece" free motion quilting on Pinterest, I just had to try it!  So I designed a simple patchwork baby quilt to really feature the quilting.  I used up some purple/orchid fabric I had (the bikes are an Erin McMorris print, so cute!) and made a simple patchwork center, with lots of negative space for quilting.
This baby sized quilt measures 36 x 44 inches.


Here is a close up of the quilting -- I drew lines with water soluble marker in the white background every 3 inches -- the size of the patchwork squares.  Then I followed the lines and quilted puzzle piece shapes -- really fun!  For the binding I pieced fabrics to match the patchwork center, and lined this up to match the center blocks.
The patchwork center is quilted in diagonal lines.



 We had some fun taking photos at our neighborhood school this weekend -- a guy that walked by said something like "I'm too curious to even ask" -- so we didn't explain!

 
 I'm entering this project into the Pantone Radiant Orchid Quilt Challenge, in the Quilts Category.

Friday, March 14, 2014

Petal Pillow

I made a new pillow for my daughter's room last week . . . . 
a little purple to tone down all of the pink!
 This is the dogwood blossom pillow from Stitched in Color -- a really fun project!   For the petals I used an old Amy Butler print, and the background is Kona Snow.  It measures 18x18.

For the back I did a simple envelope closure, using up more Amy Butler scraps.

I'm entering this project into the Pantone Radiant Orchid Quilt Challenge, in the Mini Category.  There are so many beautiful projects linked up already!

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Briar Rose

I finally cut into my stash of Briar Rose by Heather Ross!


It's so nice to see quilt blocks instead of stacks of fabrics (although I think even after making this quilt I'll have lots of fabric left)!

The tutorial for this block is from SewCraftyJess -- it's called the Starburst Cross.

Linking up to WIP Wed at Freshly Pieced.