Saturday, March 28, 2015

A quick tutorial . . .

This is what I've come up with for my next do. Good Stitches block -- a block made up of 25 bright solids squares, bordered in gray:


Start with a pile of solid scraps.
Cut them up into squares that are somewhere between 2 and 3 inches in size.  You'll need 25.
They don't need to be perfect squares -- rectangles or rhomboids are ok too -- it's improv!
 Start sewing the squares together into strips of 5 squares each.
Press seams of top row to the right, 2nd row to the left, 3rd row to the right, etc.
Sew strips together.
It's ok if some of the seams are kind of curvy. 
None of the seams should line up.  Nice!
 Trim the block so that it measures between 10 and 10.5 inches square.
A little larger or smaller is just fine, though!
 Finally, add the border.
Gray solid strips somewhere between 3 and 4 inches should work well.
Trim block to 13 inches square.
(Look at your block and think "darn it, how did I not notice those 3 red squares all in a row!")
 Done!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I just found your blog (although I can't remember how I got here). What fun! I'll be here for hours and hours. Thank you for sharing your space on the planet!

    ReplyDelete