Monday, July 4, 2011

Kindergarten Art

My girl's kindergarten teacher had the kids work on the most interesting, creative, and beautiful projects this past school year.  When they were studying Eric Carle, they did this art project based on his book Papa Please Get the Moon for Me.
I was there volunteering the day they started this, so I got to help the kids paint the blue/white/blue stripes -- it was fun!


This was such a neat art project (definitely my favorite!), so I decided to make a wall hanging for their teacher's room.  Here's how it turned out:


I pieced the blue solid strips fairly randomly, and used a wavy line setting for the quilting.   Then I used machine applique to attach the ladder, girl, stars and moon.


Here are Lexi & Holly, holding up the finished quilt,
trying to look fancy with their pinkies held high in the air.  :-)

Fresh Poppy Design

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful! We had a marvelous art teacher, too, for the girls' early elementary years. This makes me remember her and smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea Michelle! So thoughtful, i am sure it will be a great addition to the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The artwork is gorgeous and I bet the teacher is going to be blown away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's lovely - I am sure the teacher will treasure it (I would!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Michelle! This is fantastic! You need to make one for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's absolutely stunning! Their teacher must have been delighted.

    When my children were very small we had that story as an animated video (the animations were quite limited as they were based directly around the drawings in the book) - it was so lovely and always one of my favourites to watch with them.

    Florence x

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I LOVE LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

    While my husband was deployed last year, we read this book nightly. I would tell my son that Papa was getting the moon for him, so he couldn't tuck him into bed : D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that is so great!! I love it. Also reminds me of one of my favorite songs - Forever Young.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful, I'm sure the teacher will treasure it forever, I know I would.

    ReplyDelete