Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Works in Progress, July 6, 2011

It's been a crazy week here.  Hot and crazy!
My husband was gone hiking for a week,
and right before he came home, our internet and phone went down.
So now I have a large black cable running through my backyard,
waiting to be buried (someday soon, I hope!).
But at least I have a working internet again!
I did get quite a bit of sewing done this way, though --
when you can't read blogs or create new posts, there is definitely more time to sew!


I'm so happy with this little quilt!
I followed Jeni's Warm/Cool Quilt Along and made the smallest size.
Not sure yet what I'm going to do with it, as it only measures about 20 x 20,
but it's so beautiful and really makes me happy!
Both of my girls have told me repeatedly how much they love it.
"It's the most beautiful quilt you've ever made, Mommy!  Can I have it?"

July blocks for do. Good Stitches
(tutorial by Film in the Fridge)

This week I did some catching up on the Farmer's Wife Quilt along.
It turns out that I am not good at keeping up a steady pace of 2 blocks per week.
I did 4 blocks right away, took a break, and just finished 4 more.
Oh, well, I'm not too far behind (yet)!

Starflower Block
I had been thinking about making one of these blocks ever since I started following Jennifer's blog, Ellison Lane Quilts.  She has a great tutorial for this block on her blog.  It's a great way to use up scraps, so I see more of these in my future.  I skipped trimming the HSTs, though - I wasn't in the mood for this tedious step!  So I just added a bit to the seam allowance (a generous 1/4 inch instead of a scant 1/4 inch), and it worked out just fine.  Whew!

Linking up to:
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

22 comments:

  1. ooh! Love your warm/cool quilt too! And that yummy dotted star block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think you might have to make another warm/cool quilt! Then they can have one each. Perhaps you could turn them into squishy pillows for the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, your girls are so sweet! I'm a big fan of your warm/cool, too - there's just something about these warm/cool quilts that I love. Maybe it's all the saturated color? I love your starflower block too! I like the idea Lynne had about making your warm/cool top into a pillow, and making one for each of your girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your FW blocks and theStarflower block.
    The warm/cool quilt looks fabulous as well. It sounds like a great idea to make another one so both your girls can have one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your warm/cool is very pretty, and I love your do.good blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your warm/cool quilt is beautiful. I love how it is off-centre -very mod and stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I agree with your girls! That mini is just too pretty. That starflower block looks so fun! I think I need to try that...great WIPs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) As I was reading, I kept thinking, "Oh! I love the warm/cool quilt!" "Oh! I love the do.Good stitches blocks!" "Oh, I love the farmers wife blocks!" lol! I think I love every single thing that you've done this week! :) Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Thanks for the shout out! ♥ I love your warm cool quilt and the starflower looks awesome. Love the dots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great blocks! And I agree with your daughters--that is a beautiful warm/cool quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how your FWQA blocks are coming. Fingers crossed that your cable gets buried soon. Visiting from WIP.
    ~ Kimberlee at The Spunky Diva 

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS... I think your WC HST 20x20 project would make a great wall hanging, or put it on batting and put in a picture frame. It sure looks like a work of art to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. how do you manage all of this?? lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Michelle, you've been busy! Love your warm/cool and your July blocks are great! And your FW - in fact, everything!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your warm/cool quilt and all of the blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your warm-cool quilt! It is so fun seeing how different people's quilts turn out - it's been fun seeing all the variations with what color shades and values people use and with the layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. all your blocks are looking good. So does your warm/cool quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are all beautiful blocks! I love your quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, I love it all! Your FW blocks are coming along so great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your Warm Cool Quilt Along quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your Warm/Cool quilt! And the starflower block is so pretty too. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am in love with your Warm/Cool quilt! And your FWQA blocks look great! Happy to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete