Monday, April 7, 2014

Fabric Covered Ikea Storage Boxes

Before:
After:


Much, much better!
My goal with this project was to cover these Ikea Drona boxes with bright, fun fabrics, but still have the tab/handle at the top to make them easy to access for the kiddos.

Here's a quick tutorial:
Start with 3 pieces of fabric -- the main front piece (13.5 inches square), accent piece/handle (6 by 13.5 inches), and the solid piece that wraps around the sides and back of the box (42 x 13.5 inches). {I didn't want to use up all of my pretty fabric on the sides and back of the box -- this is why I used a large solid piece!}

 Fold the accent piece in half, wrong sides together, and sew it to the top of the main front piece, lining up the rough edges.

 Next add the solid piece -- sew the 13.5 inch ends to each side of the front/accent piece, right sides together.  Now you basically have a tube -- which is inside out at this point.

Fold over the raw edges and stitch them down, with a 1/2 inch seam allowance.  Do the top first, then measure it on your IKEA box -- you may need to do slightly more or less of a seam allowance on the bottom edge, depending on how accurate your top seam allowance was.  Since I was making so many of these boxes, I only turned over my seam once -- so it's not really "properly finished" on the inside -- but since no one is going to see it, I figured I wouldn't be too picky about this!
 Here is how the "finished" seams look -- good enough for a toy box cover!
Finished!
(fabrics are Summersville by Lu Summers)

Linking up to Fabric Tuesday at Quiltstory!

9 comments:

  1. Awesome Michelle! That Summerville fabric is just perfect for this sort of project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have really transformed these boxes

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great Michelle! love the transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite creative! And I love the fact that they can be removed to be washed. I know that with children they are bound to visit the washing machine from time to time. ;-)
    I agree that the finished seam is good enough for boxes, for the sides of it. The fronts look impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really fun idea. Definitely improves the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of using solids for the sides and back. I've thought of doing something like this for my studio, but can't stand the price tag of all that yardage that won't be seen.

    ReplyDelete