Friday, January 6, 2012

Holly's Christmas Quilt

Holly's Christmas Quilt
(finished just in time to snuggle with it on Christmas eve, whew!)
She said it was "the best gift ever, Mommy!"


I jammed my right thumb (hugely swollen, black & blue!)
at a workout class the day after I finished this quilt top.
So free motion quilting was out of the question.
Instead I quilted "organic" (ie not so straight) lines every 1-2 inches.
I  love the way it looks!  
The pattern is Posh by Chez Moi (free!), found here.
The fabrics are from the Be Merry collection by Riley Blake.


As I look at these photos, I am thinking that it's time for a new camera.
(and my birthday is next week!)

After Christmas my husband and I were lamenting so many "missed" moments -- because so many of our photos are out of focus or over exposed.  Our new, expensive SLR camera isn't so new anymore!  We purchased it prior to my brother's wedding -- over 8 years ago -- and we've taken thousands and thousands of pictures with it.  Now about half of the time it gives me an error message (and won't shoot at all), and 50-75% of my photos are blurry.  So frustrating! 
This photo, for example, is probably our best family Christmas photo.
It makes me so sad that it's so blurry!
(although I have to say it's not quite as noticeable how bad it is within a blog!)


I would love any advice on cameras - do you love yours?

Linking up to:

17 comments:

  1. Lovely Christmas quilt! The organic quilting really works with this pattern. Bummer about your camera. Sorry I have no advice on a new one, but did you try changing out the memory card? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt. I like organinc straight line quilting. Sorry I'm no help with camera issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is very fun & personally I love organic straight line too! Alas, I am lame at cameras & photography...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why she thought it was the best gift ever! It's beautiful! And your family is so adorable! I hope your thumb is better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the quilt, really is perfect. I love the term organic line quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely sweet quilt...it looks so cozy!
    I have a SLR Nikon 60-the simplest of the Nikon SLRs and I love it! (I had a film Pentax SLR for years and years and loved that too- now I heard that Kodak is going into bankruptcy. Sad.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love the quilt, it looks fab with the organic quilting - hope your thumb's all better now though.

    I have a Canon 7D, which I love to death, but it's certainly not at the cheap end of the market (a lot of overtime was worked for that baby!) To be honest though, it depends what you want to do with it. The entry level Canon, Nikon and Sony cameras are all perfectly good, and pretty evenly matched (although not all lenses autofocus on the low end Nikons, which you might want to check out) If you already have one SLR though, I'd stick with the same system, just updated, so you can re-use the lenses. You can buy cameras body-only so you can take advantage of that :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilt, and even more lovely because she loved it so much! Awesome!

    Honestly I am in the exact same predicament with my camera, I love it, but lately the amount of blurry photos vs. error readings is making it so annoying. I just don't want to let go....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt, and for a girl with such good sense. Quilts are the best gift ever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet Christmas quilt, and didn't that "best gift ever" reaction just melt your heart? Adorable! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband, who is on to his second digital SLR, always buys Olympus, so even my little point-and-shoot is the same brand!

    A not-so-good photo is better than none at all - we had cameras all over the place at Christmas but still no group shot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely quilt! I haven't been able to put my Christmas quilt away yet...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm no camera expert, but my husband did some research and got me the Canon Rebel XS for my birthday. We needed something faster than the point-and-shoot we were using so that we could keep up with my little girl. I love this camera! I recently got a macro lens (50 mm) for it and it takes amazingly detailed close ups, sometimes too detailed! Happy early birthday! May all your birthday wishes come true, especially the one for a camera to capture all those special moments and beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is so pretty. i love the trees...they are so fun

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful, the front and the back! Hope your thumb feels better soon! Smiles~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love your family photo : ) you are all looking good!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that Christmas quilt!

    ReplyDelete