Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Works in Progress Wednesday



We're back from vacation, a week in paradise.  I think that sewing makes it easier to come home -- as soon as we got on the plane, I started thinking about all the projects that I was looking forward to working on!  (more vacation photos, coming soon)

 I had started on this project before we left, and I finished it up yesterday.  I found the idea here.  I had been wanting to try wavy line quilting for the longest time, and this was a cute little project to try out lots of different types of quilting.  The wavy line quilting took me awhile to figure out -- it didn't work to just elongate the zig zag stitch on my machine --this just gave me bigger zig zags!  But I figured it out by using a "decorative" stitch that I'd never tried before, and I LOVE how it looks!


finished with an invisible zipper

I had been planning to quilt this "tumbler" quilt with straight lines, but after falling in love with wavy line quilting, I changed my mind.  I finished quilting this after the girls were in bed last night.  Unfortunately I had to order fabric for the binding (I have never made a quilt using charm squares, so I didn't think about binding until it was nearly done!), so I won't be able to finish it until that arrives in the mail.

Oh, I almost forgot, I picked out fabric for the Supernova Quilt Along at Freshly Pieced!  I think this Fat Eight Bundle of Sugar Pop will be perfect.  Now I just need to decide if I should use aqua or snow Kona for the solid.


Linking up to:
 WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

10 comments:

  1. oh wow, love the pillow with the different quilt techniques. How did you put the pieces together? Do you just have really fat seams?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pillows are great! Your Supernova fabrics will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun idea with the quilting the pillows! I just might have to try that myself, get out of the stippling habit and try something new :) I love the drawings from your kids of your vacation, super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also a big fan of the wavy line quilting. Yours looks great. Your pebbling is great too. I really want to try pebble quilting. I love it every time I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pillow is fun & a great way to try out different types of quilting. Maybe I should give that a try since I've never machine quilted (or hand quilted, for that matter!) before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! love the pillow....quilt is looking good too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Supernova fabrics AND your wavy line (& other) quilting! Great pillow! I just discovered a wavy line stitch on my machine recently too - have only used in once, but is it my imagination, or does the quilting go faster? Not sure, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i want to hear more about paradise : ) and see photos!
    i love the girls' art (as usual).

    and, as usual, i'm super impressed with your quilting -- and INVISIBLE zipper?!!! hope to be in touch soon : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fabrics for your supernova quilt are wonderful, I wanted to participate in that quilt along, I just couldn't get my fabrics to play nice with one another, oh well, some other time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh, I love love love Sugar Pop. Don't forget to post pictures of your Supernova fabric to the Flickr group! And the quilting on that pillow is just FABULOUS!

    Thanks for linking up with WIP Wednesday, have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete