Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Works in Progress

First, a finished project!
My tiny double hourglass pillow is done!
I made up this smaller version of a double hourglass quilt to try circular quilting.
I wanted to see how I liked it prior to quilting my large double hourglass.  

Blogged here
Conclusion:  I love the circular quilting on these squares.
And I have fallen in love with hand quilting.
So I'm going to go for it on the big quilt  -- 1 square done, 55 to go!
Thanks to everyone for your advice last week about the circles and hand quilting.


I've been working on these pennant blocks, too.
I decided to QAYG after reading Rachel's recent post on Stitched in Color.
So I did some FMQ stippling in the white portion of the blocks.  
When I piece the entire quilt, I'll do some straight line quilting on the borders.

I made up 2 fish blocks with these dots, so far.
I'm trying to teach myself how to paper piece.  I fell in love with this block from Poppyprint (pattern found at Quilters Cache), and MUST make this someday!  The paper piecing pattern on this site is free, and they have a beginning lesson/tutorial that they recommend that you try first.  It was not nearly as difficult as I had imagined.  These cute little blocks finish at about 4.5 inches square, so either I'm going to need alot of these, or I'll add some borders.

Last project (that I have photos of!): the charm square tumbler quilt from Moda Bake Shop.  A great little project.  Fairly quick to piece, and I think it will be fun to quilt.  When I get around to it!

Check out some amazing projects at:
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

21 comments:

  1. Great progress so far! I love those little fishy blocks, very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hand quilted circles! They do look fantastic with that block. I am working on hadn quilting this week, too. The fish ae adorable as well.. that reminds me to get my munki munki quilt started....

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow, those hand quilted circles are great! That is going to be amazing on the large quilt. You have way more patience than I do! Those fish are adorable too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job on your handquilting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of lovely stuff here. The pennant blocks are especially sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Heather Ross quilt blocks are great, that's my favorite fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so much cuteness here, I hardly know what to comment on first! The HR goldfish blocks are sooo cute, that's one of my favorite prints. And your hand-quilting looks wonderful. Love the tumbler quilt, I want to do one of those someday.

    Thanks for linking up, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fishy blocks and pennants are awesome! And I'm so impressed with your hand quilting and paper peicing - two skills I haven't tried yet! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hand quilting - such dedication needed but so rewarding at the end! I love the bunting blocks. It's great to see pieced bunting so many blocks/quilts I have seen have been appliquéd. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are off to such a great start! Keep up the excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. those fish/polka dot block are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of your projects are so lovely!

    So glad to hear the tumbler quilt was fairly easy to piece. I have been eyeing this tutorial on MBS for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love your goldfish blocks - they are adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The gold fish blocks ARE great. I also want to try that block that Poppyprint made!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful progress congrats! Your little pillow is great and so is the hand quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you have been busy! The little goldfish blocks are adorable and the finished cushion looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the fishy blocks! So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay for hand quilting! It is going to be awesome.

    Your choice of all-polka dots was perfect for your fishies. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. New to your blog (found you at Red Pepper Quilt's blog list). Cute quilt! And I love the "fish dots." what a cute combo!

    ReplyDelete